WMPA collaborates with international and national research organisations including the National University of Lao (NUOL) to conduct scientific studies on flora and fauna in Nakai Nam Theun National Protected Area and Watershed. To date WMPA has worked with:
- Royal Botanic Garden of Edinburgh, Uppsala University and NUOL on general botanical surveys of NNT and a detailed study of medicinal gingers;
- North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences and NUOL to conduct herpetological surveys in parts of NNT NPA;
- Oxford Brookes University on primate conservation;
- Charles Sturt University on participatory community development; and
- IUCN/SSC Saola Working Group to conduct Saola reconnaissance surveys in 2011.
- NTPC has also conducted a number of fish monitoring surveys of the watershed tributaries and WMPA conducts ongoing research through the Biodiversity Research Section.
By working with national and international leaders in research to develop an understanding of the unique ecosystem and inhabitants of NNT NPA, WMPA hopes to continue to lead the way forwards in Lao PDR protected areas through adaptive management and protection planning. Selected published research is available on the WMPA Resources Page. If you are a Lao National or International Researcher interested in conducting studies within Nakai Nam Theun NPA please contact Deputy Director, Law Enforcement Division.